Wednesday, May 5, 2010

2010/05/03-05 - Tuskegee and stuff

I spent Tuesday helping Dana and Rod at the Tuskegee University archive setup a DSpace repository server. By the end of the day we had a basic server up and running for them to experiment with. I told Dana that I'd be willing to come back out in a month to help configure the server with a Tuskegee look, enable thumbnails, and configure the collection metadata. Hopefully they like d-space - we'll see how it goes.

I spent some time this week on a spread sheet and diagram that consider library operations from a macroscopic view. I had a couple lively discussions after I sent an ill-informed e-mail protesting a staffing change, and that got me thinking about how things work at the library. Right now I have a model that organizes library services into three broad categories: manage research material, learning commons, and digital and special collections. The services in each category primarily serve different communities - graduate and faculty, undergraduates, and non-faculty/non-student respectively. I sent a description of the model to a few people - we'll see what they think.

No comments:

Post a Comment