Tuesday, January 19, 2010

01/19/2010 - Solaris and ETD

It was another great day in the basement of the RBD library. First, I had more success configuring the Solaris virtual machine for testing Evergreen ILS. Solaris includes support for lightweight server virtualization and migration with containers. I'm setting up a set of sparse-root zones in our VM, and I verified today that we can add new loop-back paths to the global zone via the add fs zonecfg command. That's good to know - I can install new software into the global zone, then add the software to already running child zones.

I also managed to configure the IPF firewall in the global zone to dynamically forward global zone connections to a child zone based on the connection port via a Crossbow configured virtual network.

When you combine everything we have the ability to run a Solaris zone within a Solaris Virtual Machine, and we can checkpoint and migrate that zone to another Solaris VM with the same config. So I can test a zone in a Virtual Box VM on my laptop, or a VMware server VM at the library, get everything working, then migrate the lightweight zones to an Amazon EC2 VM running in the cloud. That's the theory.

I also spent a little time updating the embargo documentation on our ETD d-space server. Embargos are an ongoing hassle. Aaron suggested we move the embargo notice to a license-like page in the submission process where the student must click to indicate he/she understands the rules. I'll take a crack at enabling the d-space license form next week to accomplish that. I'll be in California the rest of this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment