Friday, January 15, 2010

2010/01/15

Today I continued to configure the OpenSolaris system (libsol1) to which I intend install a demonstration Evergreen ILS instance. The libsol1 server runs in a VMWare server virtual machine on an unused student workstation in the cataloging room.

Anyway, the libsol1 setup is going well so far. I finally have a Solaris zone on a ZFS file system connected to the network via a Crossbow virtual network with NAT. Buzzwords are so sexy! I'm basically following the instructions from online tutorials like http://blogs.sun.com/droux/entry/private_virtual_networks_for_solaris and https://www.sun.com/offers/docs/moving_containers.pdf. I'm working now to setup IPF firewall rules.

I'm excited about libsol1's setup, because if everything works we will be able to migrate a Solaris zone running some library software from our dev environment to a production server and also to an Amazon EC2 (elastic compute cloud) server. I'm curious to see how well an EC2 hosted service performs when accessed from Auburn across the internet. The repo.lib.auburn.edu server also runs Solaris 10, so I might be able to reuse some of the tricks I'm learning there too.

Anyway - it's all fun stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment